Feb 22, 2017

Living in the City when you are single and not rich

I have no picture of those skyscrapers, instead, I got this picture of the houses I see every time I open our apartment door.

I remember telling myself before to not live in Manila anymore, but here I am enjoying city life for almost a year now. How I ended up here was by personal necessity (and by weird turn-of-events) which makes it non-negotiable.

My first experience in the city wasn't really bad except for the horrible traffic every day. But with the new administration, gradual improvements are being made, like rerouting public vehicles that cause traffic. Such on-the-road improvements are still ongoing, so until they are done I can't say that traffic is resolved. But as long as there's progress, why not? we might be close to realizing it.
But how does a typical person who is used to a serene and soulful lifestyle enjoy the hustle and bustle of the city? I am not exactly that kind of person but perhaps some of the things I do alone can get you around living here for long.

Enjoy your own company with mall visits
"Take advantage of malls" 
I enjoy being in the mall and watching random events in activity centers. Perhaps, I make a visit twice a month just in time to replenish my personal necessities. It is also a place good for window shopping and trying some stores I've never been to.  But be mindful you're not exceeding your budget limit though. You still need to control your shopping or you'll end up not enjoying mall visits at all.

Watch good movies as a past time
"Spend time watching in cinemas"
I always take note of the movies I want to watch.  I do watch it alone in a cinema if need be or just copy when it's already available. But it is a more satisfying experience to watch movies in cinemas because the feeling can never be the same with watching it on a laptop. Especially if that movie is really worth it.

Film festivals are also great way to watch movies for free. They always have it annually for Korean and Japanese films. Last year was my first to attend a Japanese film fest and it had me blabbering about how nice the movie was after watching it for free. Yet movies for screening might not be for everyone, so I suggest reading reviews of movies you are planning to watch beforehand.

 Eat in fancy bistros
"Experience good food"
Not everyone has the luxury of eating in restos featured in magazines or those owned by famous TV personality turned businessmen. The best thing about being in the metro is, these places are actually nearby. Once in a while, I take time to try fancy restos I have never been before. Of course, it is quite expensive, so I do it rarely. But take time to budget a little for a new kind of food experience.

Try to be fit and healthy with plenty of activities available
"Try to be fit and healthy"
I don't claim to be fit but I think this is one of the things someone has to do. Here, parks are everywhere, and a lot of people jog or do some sports. The only thing that hinders is time and the willingness to do it (and I am guilty of it). Yoga classes are everywhere too and I heard that it can get as low as Php1500 a month.
But I say, take advantage of the fitness facilities available everywhere because it can be more expensive elsewhere. Don't be like me who is very lazy when it comes to waking up in the morning to jog, now I got 6kg heavier (and it sucks!).

Enjoy the perks of online shopping
"Do stress-free shopping"
Being in the metro is a great advantage for a person who loves online shopping as they offer free deliveries for orders within Metro Manila. One time, I ordered a poetry kit for a friend as a gift and I only paid the amount worth of the kit - no delivery fee. That saved me at least Php150. Same with the advocacy shirt I ordered recently. Sometimes laziness gets in the way that suddenly going to the mall is a very tiring thing to do. So we just opt to browse the net and shop for what we need. Available perks like discount coupons also pop up sometimes so that can save you some.
Not all sites though are reliable, so get to know online shopping sites that are trustworthy before making a purchase.

Open bank accounts as much as you want
"Save for your future"
All kinds of banks are everywhere, and that gives you a very good motivation to open an account for savings. It is also very convenient now as they are leveling up with their online services, that means you can check your account status and make payments online.
With an array of unique services each bank offers, you can do a study of which one fits for you. Bank of the Philippine Islands offer a savings account without a balance deposit, and that is just what I want so I got one for me.

Take advantage of credit cards
"Do cashless payments"
Mind you, I don't like credit cards really until I found out how to use them efficiently. When I got a hold of one, I now rarely withdraw large amounts of cash. I do the shopping with my credit card, and monitor my spending with it. So every time my salary comes, I allot the money I owe my card. It is of great help too when I purchase stuff online. The attitude you need with credit cards is controlled. If you have that you are safe from debt.

Have the freedom you want
"Embrace freedom"
As I live alone, but I basically live in an apartment where there are two of us renting yet living our separate lives, I get to exercise full authority over myself. Though my Father visits me sporadically, he gives me the space to live my way. Coming from a family who is discreet about personal lives and not PDA, I got used to keeping things to myself. So I don't really share family matters with people unless I am personally attached with them and really very close.
Also, when you grew up in a community where everyone knows almost everything you will appreciate the privacy and freedom that I am talking about.
So far, I was able to try things without worrying too much about what people might say because  I am far from them anyway and I don't post on Facebook that much.

But before anything else, It is also good to remember that as singles we also have priorities, sometimes it is our families. So set your priorities straight before doing things impulsively. That was my mistake before and now I am learning. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you .. write down your thoughts XD