Jun 17, 2022

A Filipinized Belgian

I didn't normally meet people who were fond of Filipino culture while I was studying in Belgium. My workmate at my part-time job was a rare one. I really enjoyed my stay there.  

I had a workmate in his 60s who always came to me and shared how fond he was of Filipinos and our culture. He said he visited Phil in 2007 but never came back since. But he considers it his most memorable trip ever. He couldn’t stop blabbering whenever he would share anything Filipino. “Filipinized” might be an appropriate term to describe this fondness. 

One time, he approached me and said Filipinos have a karaoke party. Surprised by my cluelessness, he exclaimed, “You don’t know this? OH MY GOD!.” He always does this whenever Filipino-related information doesn’t get on my radar. 


Last week, it was the same reaction he made when he shared about the two-day Independence Day event. He told me to bring my friends over, and I did. 


But the most surprising of all was this morning. I was preparing the salad when he blasted some Filipino songs from the bar. Enthusiastic, he walked briskly towards me and asked: “Fatima, do you hear this? I put up the volume.”


Laughing so hard, I responded: “OMG!!!!! Where did you find this?” 


He said: “Just listen, listen, listen…”


At the table, while eating lunch, I asked why he still looked younger than his age. He fondly said in a high tone: “Maybe because many Filipinos surround me.” 


I don’t know what the Filipinos he met did to him, but one thing I know for sure — they made him feel like he was family. 


Thankful for this oldie and the others who make a foreign place feel like home to me as well, except for that nasty Chef lols 😆 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you .. write down your thoughts XD